January 2020 UK Quest Grand Prix - Results

News and views from Quizland.
WiseOldOwls
Site Admin
Site Admin

January 2020 UK Quest Grand Prix - Results

Postby WiseOldOwls » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:49 pm

A somewhat belated “Happy New Year” to all our quizzers. Our first GP of the calendar year is typically held-over to the second Saturday to steer clear of the Holiday Season. Anyway, all of the January 2020 UK Quest Grand Prix scores appear to be in and are now online (link at the foot of this piece).

I’m sure they will be echoed by our 190 competitors today in thanking my fellow setters Dave Tilley and Tim Hall for their considerable contributions to today’s quiz. There were lots of healthy scores and fine performances which I will summarise here.

From the scores it’s obvious the quiz was one of the more accessible individual papers. Historically we’ve expected circa 20-25% of players to get through the 100-points-barrier. Today we had more than half storm through the milestone. There’s special shout-outs to Andrew Frazer and Kevin Ashman who aced the main body of the ACH genre. But we must offer commiserations to Andrew whose score of 30.5 was only good enough for second place. Ouch! I’d also draw attention to Pat Gibson’s 29.6 on Lifestyle, a notoriously difficult genre in which to compile a massive score.

We heartily congratulate Pat Gibson who has more topped the field of almost 200. He registered a splendid, dominating score of 141.6. Runner up was Kevin Ashman (136.7), David Hesp was third (135.3), with David Stainer (132.1) and Andrew Frazer (130.9) completing the top five.

Here are the medal positions, by genre.

ACH
Gold : 30.6 - Kevin Ashman
Silver : 30.5 - Andrew Frazer
Bronze : 29.5 - Nick Mills

CIV
Gold : 29.2 - David Hesp
Silver : 27.3 - Steve Cooke
Bronze : 26.4 - Kevin Ashman

ENT
Gold : 29.3 - Pat Gibson
Silver : 28.4 - Dan Adler
Bronze: 28.3 - Alan Burns

LIF
Gold : 29.6 - Pat Gibson
Silver : 28.5 - David Stainer
Bronze: 27.5 - Barbara Thompson

PHW
Gold : 28.7 - Pat Gibson
Silver : 28.5 - Nick Mills
Bronze: 27.7 - Kevin Ashman

S&G
Gold : 27.4 - Mark Preston
Silver : 26.5 - Gareth Aubrey
Bronze: 26.3 - Dave Rainford

Many thanks to all of the competitors, and of course to the proctors - for your continued support/help. Our next UK Grand Prix is the first Saturday of February, i.e. just three weeks away.

LINK TO QUEST FOR SCORES

Return to “Quiz News”