This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Quick Summary

We're delighted to confirm that we will be returning to the Cathedral Lodge Hotel, Lichfield for this year's World Quizzing Championships. The event will run pretty much as last year, with a 15-to-1 style competition (and an additional Pop Music quiz) to keep you entertained in the latter stages of the event - while the organisers are feverishly gathering scores from around the world to enable them to make a provisional announcement as to the winner on the day!

Cathedral Lodge Hotel: 01543 414500 : e-mail enquiries@cathedrallodgehotel.com

People wishing to stay at the venue overnight should contact the hotel direct. Tell them you are coming for the quiz and that we've been quoted room rates (as per last year), viz: single room + breakfast £59.50 a night, double/twin £69.50.

To note also - the Cathedral Lodge Hotel is confirmed as the venue, once more, for the British Quizzing Championships. These will be held on Saturday 1 September 2012 and will be preceded in the 'early' morning and night before by additional quizzes (the Saturday morning 9.30 start likely being a 'Highbrow' Quiz).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MORE COMPLETE DETAILS...

VENUE

Cathedral Lodge Hotel
Beacon Street
Lichfield

Link to Google Map.

EVENT SCHEDULE:

Entry: £30, lunch provided.

11.00 - Registration and Welcome
11.30 - World Quizzing Championships Part I
12.30 - Marking Part I, followed by a short break
13.15 - World Quizzing Championships Part II
14.15 - Marking Part II
15.00 - Late lunch - hot and cold buffet
16.00 - Pop Quiz, hosted by Dave Bill**
17.30 - Last One Standing (15-1 inspired, multi-round individual contest)**
19.00 - Preliminary Results & Close
19.30 - Informal quizzing in the bar
20.30 - Restaurant trip, tbc

** tbc, depending on timings, these two events may be required to run simultaneously, but we'll do our best to ensure everyone who wishes to participate in both can so do.

As the WQC is a very hectic day for us, with lots of people to look after, it would assist us greatly (and probably make your life easier too) if, once registration is opened you registered and paid in advance. Payment can be made via PayPal. Our NEW user ID is payments@quizzing.co.uk - please make sure you use this one and not the old one. If it's easier, you can pay via bank transfer. Just drop me, Jane, a line and I will send you the details. Many thanks!

For those people looking to make a weekend of it…

Lichfield is Staffordshire's premier heritage city nestled in the heart of the country's most creative county. Steeped in heritage its highlights (all within easy walking distance of our quiz venue) include…

Lichfield Cathedral the 800 year old Cathedral, the third building on the site has a fascinating history. Under siege three times during the Civil War, restored under Charles II in the 1660s, extensively remodeled internally in the late 18th century and completely restored to its medieval splendour by Sir George Gilbert Scott 100 years later, its treasures include the 8th century St Chad Gospels, 16th century Flemish Glass, monuments by Chantrey and Epstein and the 20th century Lang Lichfield Silver Commission. The building is open from 8.00am.

Erasmus Darwin House Georgian home of Charles Darwin’s grandfather, Erasmus, who was a leading 18th Century doctor, scientist, botanist, inventor and poet. Museum displays with interactive features and herb garden. Located in the idyllic surroundings of Cathedral Close. Open Tuesday to Sunday, 11am - 5pm.

Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum five floors of exhibits in a beautiful Grade I listed building including period room settings, an introductory film and interactive displays. Please note that, due to the nature of the building's Grade I listing, there are many unavoidable steps.

The surrounding area has a number of other very worthwhile places to visit…

National Memorial Arboretum, (Alrewas)
Set in 150 acres of land, and open every day from 9am to 5pm, there are over 140 memorials including some spectacular and poignant statuary.

National Museum of Brewing (Burton upon Trent)
The National Brewery Centre is a world-class museum and visitor centre that celebrates Burton upon Trent's proud brewing heritage and it's influence on brewing techniques throughout the world. People without their own transport who are planning to visit the museum might consider the Three Queens Hotel with its new, lodge extension in Burton for a stop-over, since it is in walking distance of the museum, and across the road from the Burton Bridge brewery and Inn!

Sudbury Hall & Museum of Childhood (8 Miles)
Museum showing aspects of the life of children over the past 200 years.

Tutbury Castle
For many years the prison of Mary Queen of Scots and the hub of a Royal Stud farm owned by Charles II. The castle is leased to, and run by, TV ‘historian’ and ghost hunter Lesley Smith.

Tutbury itself has a number of other attractions. Cut glass has been manufactured here for many years and a tourist trade has built upon the long and distinguished history of the Norman Priory Chuch and medieval castle, and some fine Georgian and Regency buildings. There are antique and craft shops in the village as well as a factory shop at the Georgian Crystal glassworks. Unfortunately, the Tutbury Crystal factory has now closed although they still have a shop on Tutbury High Street.

Kedleston Hall
Experience the age of elegance in this neo-classical house built between 1759 and 1765 for the Curzon family and little altered since.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

AndrewFrazer
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Re: Sign Up - iQa World Quizzing Championships 2012 - Lichfi

Postby AndrewFrazer » Wed May 09, 2012 10:30 am

Please count me in for Lichfield. Paypal payment will follow idc.
Andrew

andyc
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby andyc » Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 am

I'll be there - Everything on the day except "Pop Quiz".

Thanks,
Andy

WilliamDeAth
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby WilliamDeAth » Wed May 09, 2012 1:44 pm

I'll be there,

William

batleyboy
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby batleyboy » Wed May 09, 2012 2:34 pm

The Yorkshire National Team of Ebb & Mac will be there.

sDawson
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby sDawson » Wed May 09, 2012 3:51 pm

I'll be there.

Will sort out PayPal in the next few days.

DavidHesp60
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby DavidHesp60 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm

I will be there for the main event

johnwilson
Candidate Master Quizzer
Candidate Master Quizzer

Postby johnwilson » Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Haven't missed one yet, so I will be extending my unbroken sequence

Bronson
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby Bronson » Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm

All day for me.

Looking forward to seeing if I can remain Italy's 'numero uno' quizzer at the World Championships!

Buona fortuna!

John

DaveBill
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby DaveBill » Wed May 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I'll be there, music quiz is looking good.. :D

Return to “Archive (past events)”