February Quizzing Grand Prix - Edinburgh

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Jane
Site Admin
Site Admin

February Quizzing Grand Prix - Edinburgh

Postby Jane » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

We are delighted to be returning to Edinburgh, on 7th February 2014 for our Grand Prix event. We are most grateful to Ewan McNaught for putting the concert room at his club at our disposal for this event and look forward to a number of people making the trip north to meet with the growing band of Scots quizzers who gather every month to take the Hot 100 quiz.

Note: details of the alternative satellite venue in Bletchley - for those unable to get up to Edinburgh, but who are keen not to lose ground vis a vis domestic and world rankings points - have been published, HERE.

Please note the schedule below has been tweaked a little in order to accommodate a required switch of room in the afternoon. This had been explained to Chris last June (2014) but he'd forgot! Sorry about that. So, however, it's unlikely this will cause any real problems for anyone (fingers crossed).

Schedule

11.00 Registration

11.30 Grand Prix Individual Quiz

13.00 Marking

13.45 Luncheon

14.30 Fun Team Quiz (ad hoc teams drawn-up by quiz master)

15.45 Break (move rooms)

16.15 Dubai Brain Buster (60 minute individual quiz, + marking)

17.30 Prizes and then close of official event circa 17.45

18.45 Visit to curry house (paid for separately. As we had such a large group last year we may need to book two smaller tables, please let us know if you wish to join us for a curry so we can book in advance.)

* People with particular dietary requirements might like to make alternative lunch arrangements. If they contact me in advance we can agree a suitable discount on their admission cost.

Cost:
£25 all day, unless you are making your debut, in which case it's £12.50 (see note below).

For the purposes of quizzers resident north of the border, you'll be classed as making your debut if you have never attended a GP before AND you have yet to participate in TWO or more World/European Championship Quiz events. This effectively brings the Scots into line with the rules as they have applied to other GP debutantes in areas where the circuit has been operating now for many years.

Hot 100
Since so many of the Scots quizzers meet regularly on the first Wednesday of the Month for this quiz, we will be running the Dubai Brainbuster instead on the Saturday afternoon. Those people travelling to Edinburgh who did not get a chance to do the quiz on Wednesday 4th February have a number of options, viz:

A. They can take the quiz to do on the journey home, perhaps in concert with a.n. other, and then submit their scores.

B. Take the quiz to do later, for fun.

C. In advance, arrange a meet-up with other quizzers, local to them, on a date between Tues 3rd and Mon 9th Feb, to do the quiz. If you let us know in good time, we can arrange to get the quiz to you by e-mail for printing locally. If this works for people, we can consider doing it regularly, using the time freed-up at GPs for more team quiz! So, if you are interested, please e-mail sharon@worldquizzing.com by 1 February AT THE LATEST, please.

Elginboy59
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: February Quizzing Grand Prix - Edinburgh

Postby Elginboy59 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:26 pm

OK Chris, please sign me up for Edinburgh including the curry. I'll pay cash at the door.
Many thanks,
Roderick

Steve123
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Steve123 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am

Hi Chris

I will be there for full day except final quiz due to train time. i will pay via pay pal.

Steve Rhodes

clutton2
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby clutton2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:53 am

Hi Chris

Both Martin Johnson and Phil Bennion will be there. Can we please say 3 for the curry? It's not Phil breaking his diet but Mrs J joining us.

Thanks and all the best.

Martin

falcon
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby falcon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Barry Howbridge,Dave Taylor and Keith Marshall will be there.I'll pay by Paypal in the next few minutes. Thanks. Barry

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Previous posts refer, nine names for the curry so far (including "Mrs J") given that I shall be attending Kushi's along with Kevin Ashman; Neil Mackaskill will also be there with his good lady, and Andy Tucker is coming along also.

Pat Gibson will also attend the GP but I don't think he's stopping for the curry.

The table has been booked for 8.30 (to give time for folk to watch the Scotland v France rugby encounter).
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

EwanM
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby EwanM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Confirmed for Edinburgh GP:
Kevin Leetion, Ian Volante, Mike Clark, Niall Pringle, Fraser McNicol, Michael Gordon, Barry Haniford, Stuart Finlayson, Andrew Mallarkey and John Hutcheon.
Last edited by EwanM on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

DavidHesp60
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby DavidHesp60 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:22 pm

I will be there for the morning and lunch.

GrantCatto

Postby GrantCatto » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Add me for the quizzing and possibly curry - but not overly keen on an 8.30 (will go for that if no other choice!).

Grant

pjwatson
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby pjwatson » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Chris. I'll be in Edinburgh. Cheers, Peter Watson

Return to “Archive (past events)”