Dumbing Down?

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
KenOwen
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Dumbing Down?

Postby KenOwen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 am

Tonight, I watched on iplayer the two episodes of Mastermind which had been on earlier.

After I had watched the first, I noticed that iplayer was making recommendations of "similar" programmes for me.

Not surprisingly, the first recommendation was for more Mastermind. Fair enough.

The second (and only other) suggestion was.................. Total Wipeout.

Now, without even entering into discussion on the relative merits of either programme, does Auntie seriously consider they are comparable?

If so, it might explain why we so often lament the lack of truly challenging questions on so many quiz-related programmes...

Just a thought.

Ken

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dumbing Down?

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 am

T'internets regularly throw-up incongruous matches. I regularly visit a rabid Everton supporters website which carries ads placed by Google. You'd be amazed how often Google suggests I, and others like me, might be interested in buying a red football shirt with "Standard Chartered" emblazoned across the breast....
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

inspectorbucket
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby inspectorbucket » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:21 pm

On the subject of "dumbing down", does anyone have a view on the current format of "A Question Of Sport". It seems to me to be more like a game show now to allow the captains to become excited when they are miming something or other (or trying to spot the names of sports people from photographs) or to allow them to take part in some silly game that has nothing to do with a proper quiz. Even the quiz part of the programme now sometimes requires a test of observation rather than knowledge and, on the rare occasion that "What Happened Next" is shown, alternative answers are given for the captains to choose from.

I seem to remember that, even when previous captains were having fun, it was a serious quiz. Am I looking back through rose tinted spectacles or do the makers of these programmes believe that that is all that we want now?

petewins57
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby petewins57 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Interesting you should mention QofS in a thread about dumbing down. Arguably, it's predecessor was a show called Quiz Ball, which was one of my favourite programmes when I was growing up (late 60s, early 70s - yikes!). That show featured teams consisting of current footballers - imagine trying to coax them onto something like that these days!

I remember a certain Alex Ferguson (yes, that one) represented Falkirk on one episode.

Actually, while we're her, can anyone confirm or otherwise that the phrase "route one" was born out of this show? I've heard that, but never been able to verify it. FYI in the show, a contestant could opt to score via 4 options, from 4 easy questions through to 1 very tough question, shown on the electronic scoreboard as route 1.
Pete
Head of Qulaity Control

AlanGibbs
Master Quizzer
Master Quizzer

Postby AlanGibbs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 am

According to the excellent broadcaster Gary Imlach's superb book about his father Stewart (who won the FA Cup playing for Nottingham Forest in the 1950's), Mr Imlach Snr appeared on the first ever episode of "QuizBall". It is stated in there that the Route One thing does indeed come from there, for exactly the reaosns you describe. As peculiar as it sounds, that derivation sounds like it might be spot-on.

ADG.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:25 am

Marvellous. :ugeek:
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

davetaylor
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Postby davetaylor » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 am

Reading the posts on "Quizball" reminds me of Sunderland's one and only appearance on the show.
Stalwart full back Len Ashurst was asked "Who are the Heavenly Twins?"
Considered reply........... "Pinky and Perky"!

SimonJC
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby SimonJC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 pm

According to a biography of Fergie I read a while ago, Falkirk lost because his teammate, future Scotland boss Andy Roxburgh, didn't know his horse racing...

Bennybiel
Novice Quizzer
Novice Quizzer

Postby Bennybiel » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:33 pm

I have to agree about Question of Sport. The picture round may have improved by making it a speed round but I don't want to see the captains on mechanical polo ponies or playing table tennis, etc.

The captains questions in the home and away round fail to brab my attention as well. In fact I find myself watching the whole programme whilst I'm doing something else.
When the seagulls follow the trawler

petewins57
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby petewins57 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Couldn't agree more. Definitely gone the way of "entertainment" rather than a pure quiz.

...the Mrs likes it though.
Pete
Head of Qulaity Control

Return to “Quiz Discussion”