Redtooth

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!
DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Redtooth

Postby DanielFullard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I by no means want to advertise a rival or anything here. Im merely looking for opinions. I have posted this on my Quiz Addict blog but would be keen to know opinions of forumers on here.

I have only ever attended a handful of Redtooth quizzes, but after talking to a few quizzing friends about the quizzes that the company produce, I had a negative opinion of them before I had even attended my first Redtooth quiz. I live in a rather old-fashioned small town so most of the quizzes round my area are ran by locals who have been doing them for longer than I've been alive. But there is one of the "Sizzling" chain of pubs who run a twice-weekly quiz and its Redtooth who supply the questions.

The first criticism I have heard levelled at Redtooth is that the quizzes are too "gimmicky". I would tend not to agree with this but then again its all just a matter of personal taste. I love my quizzes that are just straight up 50 questions of General Knowledge but I also enjoy Redtooth Quizzes.

The "gimmicks" tend to provide something a little different than the usual array of quizzes I attend. I really do enjoy "list" type questions so the round on those really does please me and the Trivia Trail is fun too as it at is very satisfying getting the chain of 10 and working it out. The connections round is fun and the Wipeout Round gives the quiz a nice twist at the end (Ill be posting in future about these rounds). I thinks its a very very varied quiz and that makes it enjoyable.

I can see why Redtooth have had such success. I quiz with different people and for my family, who are casual quizzers, they tend to enjoy the Redtooth quizzes much more than anything else. Its a varied format, every round is different in some way and the presentation is very professional.

All in all I am very positive about Redtooth and in my case I have seen many people who would not normally attend a quiz try a Redtooth one and love it! If this is the case then having Redtooth around can only be positive for the future of pub quizzing as people will be more inclined try other quizzes once they are bitten by the bug!

I would not like to do a Redtooth quiz evey night of the week but on my pub quiz circuit the Redtooth quiz is certainly one I enjoy.....and plus looking at it from another perspective, its one my family team enjoy and at the end of the day thats what matters!

I would be interested to know other peoples opinions on the brand and the pub quizzes they offer?

pantscat
Sage Quizzer
Sage Quizzer

Re: Redtooth

Postby pantscat » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:01 pm

I very rarely go to pub quizzes these days but my experience of redtooth quizzes was that an irritating number of the answers were either wrong or very ambiguous.

It is impossible to write huge numbers of questions without mistakes occurring occassionally but my rule of thumb is that any more than 1 mistake in 200 questions is just shoddy and my experience of redtooth was that it was more like 1 in 20.

But this was from only a handful of quizzes, so it may, of course, not be representative of their work.

narkyiain
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby narkyiain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I've been to 4 Redtooth quizzes recently and not noticed any incorrect answers.

One member of my team and I are both the type of person to go home and check up answers we considered dubious and my team were never worse than 2 points off winning, so either they're improving or my luck was very different from Rob's in that respect.

There was at least 1 ambiguous question at each, so the QM is already getting sick of me waddling up to check what they're after.

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 pm

I used to go to a 'Sizzling Pub' which ran a Redtooth quiz. It was OK... but there was a significant incidence of 'ambiguous' or poorly defined questions.

Without wishing to sound prejudiced against younger quizzers, I did find that the apparent contemporary pop culture emphasis of the quiz (esp. as regards the picture round) encouraged a younger crowd and, IMHO, this resulted (in the pub I went to) in a greater incidence of cheating. I say this because younger folk tend to favour the more sophisticated handsets that facilitate cheating, and as a demographic they seem less averse to "Googling". I know it got so brazen that we stopped going to the pub in question. I recall one week the winning score bettered what I thought any 'superteam' of the UK's finest 'young-guns' could've managed. So, however, that's not exactly the fault of the quiz.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am

Chris wrote:I used to go to a 'Sizzling Pub' which ran a Redtooth quiz. It was OK... but there was a significant incidence of 'ambiguous' or poorly defined questions.

Without wishing to sound prejudiced against younger quizzers, I did find that the apparent contemporary pop culture emphasis of the quiz (esp. as regards the picture round) .

Have to disagree there.......This weeks Redtooth quiz had pictures of Himmler, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Nancy Sinatra and Englebert Humperdinck. And the previous one I went too was the same. I assume there are hundreds of different redtooth quizzes each week but my experience is that the questions are geared for all as the Sizzling Pub gets quite a varied crowd.

You are right about the cheating though, the sizzling pub I go to isnt best for a quiz with loads of arches, tables behind supporting walls and a zig zag shaped room with four toilets and a smoking area that gets used often in the quiz

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am

I agree they do put some old faces in the picture quiz, but they also nearly always put in modern pop acts and current (less than stellar) footballers etc.. I recall one week there was a picture of a lady from an Anglo-German dance act (name escapes me) and we'd not have had an inkling on that but for my neighbour's 20yr old granddaughter being sat with us.
Chris Jones

DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Hahah come to think they of it they put Robert Snodgrass, from Leeds United, in it this week

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:00 pm

I remember now, it was Natalie Horler from Cascada. Interestingly, although Natalie Horler was the only person seen in the picture, the answer they wanted was "Cascada" - which kinda supports the detractors' case doesn't it?!
Chris Jones

grecian
Grand Master Quizzer
Grand Master Quizzer

Postby grecian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm

I think Redtooth are pretty dreary. That's not a problem in itself, but if you live in an area (as I do) where about 60-70% of pub quizzes are Redtooth, it becomes very dull.

The basic format of the standard quiz is OK - and I actively like the ideas behind the "two groups of five", missing link and the final round where you have to leave wrong answers blank. My problem is mainly with the questions, which tend either to be boringly easy chestnuts, or difficult-but-boring ones where no-one has a clue and the team is left thinking "OK, but who cares?" That's particularly a problem on the pictures (see above), and the news round, which almost always has 3 or 4 incredibly arcanely dull questions, often at least one of which needs a random numerical guess.

The other Redtooth format, which is a straightforward 40 question general knowledge with no rounds, tends to have slightly better questions in my experience, although less pubs use it.

That said, one has to give kudos to them for their business model - they've cornered the market, and I've heard that their economies of scale allow them to charge very very low prices to landlords. If that's right, one can't blame pubs for being unwilling to pay a local QM properly to write a decent quiz, although it's a retrograde step for keen quizzers.

Moodymark
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Moodymark » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Chris wrote:I agree they do put some old faces in the picture quiz, but they also nearly always put in modern pop acts and current (less than stellar) footballers etc.. I recall one week there was a picture of a lady from an Anglo-German dance act (name escapes me) and we'd not have had an inkling on that but for my neighbour's 20yr old granddaughter being sat with us.

I do have to agree here with Chris. I have recently started to go to, what happens to be my nearest pub on a Thursday evening and they run a 'Redtooth' quiz format. I have found that the questions do lack a lot of depth and or not what imho can be considered a quizzers quiz. Saying that, the format and design of the quiz structure i like very much however it's not backed up by the questions, to vague and lacking in something.

The pub itself is packed and there are in access of 15+ teams which take part in the quiz, however over the last few weeks and what i hear and sense it's the fact that the landlord puts on a great free supper/spread for everyone who takes part in the quiz. You pay a £1 for the quiz and on top of that you get fed a top notch supper.

Sad to say that i do feel that the draw of the superb supper draws more people into the pub than the actual quiz.

Return to “Quiz Discussion”