DO YOU NEED QUIZ QUESTIONS?

We can help! With our army of quiz setters and our extensive questions database - you can choose what is right for you and your quizzing needs.

READ MORE

WORLD'S WORST PUB QUIZ

What's the worst pub quiz question you've ever heard?

READ MORE

Redtooth

Anything you like - as long as it's quiz-related!

Re: Redtooth

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

I went again to a pub quiz last night using 'Redtooth' - the couple running my favoured Sunday night haunt (the Duke of York) have sadly fallen victim to Punch Taverns' business model and been forced to relinquish their license; working 90 hours a week for buttons didn't seem worthwhile somehow! Anyhoo, after another Redtooth quiz I was inclined to make some further observations...

I don't believe anyone was cheating last night, but it did occur to me that one or more aspects of Redtooth's format quite possibly acts to greatly increase the likelihood of cheating. I will explain.

For those of you who are not familiar with it, the standard Redtooth model is 10 pictures, 10 recent news, 2x list five things (see below), 10 connected answers (last letter of answer 1 is first letter of answer 2), a link round (4 questions plus what's the connection?) and a 10 question wipe-out round (wherein you score a 5 point bonus for 10/10 but get a big, fat ZERO if any of the answers you attempt - you can leave blanks - is wrong).

Last night the connection round was piss easy (likely every team got 10/10) while the link round was good, and testing, but of course only worth 5 points. The wipe out round was mainly easy questions with 2 or 3 dull stinkers few could reasonably be expected to KNOW, and the 2xfive round challenging (these were: five song titles from a rock star's lengthy career, and 5 films from an actor's long and still current career - i.e. a five year window within the last 20).

So, what occurs to me is that this type of quiz format is the one which will most likely reward a cheat. A quick look on one page each of everyhit.com and imdb gives you 10 answers and possibly a 3 or 4 point gain on any 'strong' teams in the room. Likewise, googling the two or three dull as dishwater questions in the wipeout round offers you a score of 15 against an honest and prudent team's 7 or 8. So, with only a very quick look on the web there's a massive 10 or 12 point advantage (out of a maximum possible 60) to give you a pretty solid chance of winning the gallon of ale.

So is it any wonder I've stopped going to the only pub in my village that runs a regular quiz? Yes, you guessed it, it's a Redtooth quiz and it was apparent (from scores of 50-55 and more week in week out) that cheating was rife. Sadly this IS a format that can richly reward cheats.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dogmanjack » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Our pub has a Redtooth quiz. It has the rounds as follows: Picture; Read All About it (News); Top 5 (e.g. name the 5 largest countries by population); Trivia Trail (all single word answers; the last letter of one answer is the first of the next and so on); Connections (Name four people or things, for the fifth point, work out the connection between them); and Wipeout (get all 10 correct, get 5 bonus points (i.e. 15 for the round); write an incorrect answer, lose all points for the round). Our landlord has a separate prize for pictures (wine) and main quiz (meal for two).
I find the gimmicks to be quite fun. And the good thing about our pub is that it's a mobile network black spot, so very little chance of cheating, though some people (naming no names!) do pop out every so often after an important text!
But the average winning score is around 35, so I doubt there is much naughtiness.
One complaint: the music questions can be very contemporary. That said, although they had LMFAO as an answer one week (had never heard of them before), they also had ones on Fleetwood Mac and Traffic in the following weeks.
Dogmanjack
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Chris, living in Burton myself I'd be interested to know which pub is running the Sunday night quiz.
Ian
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:17 am

It's the Beacon Hotel, 277 Tutbury Road, Horninglow, DE13 0AJ. Starts at 9.00pm.

A nice pub but £3.15 for a pint of Pedigree!

The 'local' I was referring to is the Anglesey Arms in Stretton, Quiz night is Thursdays. It's a 'Sizzling Pub' and a pint of Bass is more like £2,50, as I recall.
Chris Jones
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks Chris, I was aware that the Beacon ran a quiz night, but my friend (who used to attend) warned me off, cheating there is apparently rife and blatant.

Don't know if you're interested, but the Monday night quiz at the Hilton House Hotel is very good.

It starts at 9pm and comprises twelve themed rounds each of five questions, every team picks a joker and a discard round beforehand and there is no cheating.
Ian
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi Ian,

Yes, I'd heard cheating had been a big problem, but this has apparently been addressed. Last Sunday's wining score of 43/60 (from a team of about 8, varying ages etc.) seems to indicate it wasn't a problem on that occasion, but there's no saying it will stay away... It was certainly rife and blatant at the Anglesey (Thursday's Redtooth quiz in Stretton).

I'll speak to my friends who I quiz with on a Sunday... perhaps I can persuade them to move to a Monday instead ;)
Chris Jones
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Cheers Ian. I managed to get to the Hilton House Hotel at the last minute tonight. I nearly missed the quiz though. I went into the rather small public bar and, after asking if there was another bar, and being told "NO, this is it", sat down with my drink thinking there was no quiz. Fortunately I sat where I could see the length of the pub, behind the bar, and espied a guy with sheets of paper in a far flung room. So I asked again, specifying "quiz" (not having wanted to look too keen first time round) only for the same woman to say "oh yes, in the other bar"!!

Anyway, managed to make the room just in time (at 9.05) and get sorted, but too late to tack onto another team. I did recognise one outfit, the 'Holly Bush', who are a half decent and oft successful team.

The quiz was very enjoyable. There was enough "random chance" to give a feeling of uncertainty, some good questions, and a really nice film-link segment which was both entertaining and challenging. I shall definitely return. And most of the room, the quiz master in particular, was very friendly,

How did I do reader? Well, I got 52 out of a maximum possible 60. Dropped a couple of silly points and lost out because the 5-question segment I'd elected to drop would have scored me one more (3) than the 2 points I got on what proved to be the trickiest part of the quiz. I maxed my joker so that was ok. There was probably only one answer I could not have got in a month of Sundays, even with a kind, following trade wind (a word in a song title by Pink).

The Holly Bush won with 55 out of 60; so I didn't disgrace myself. Rather I did enough, perhaps, to put the wind up them when I next show my face. :P The most important thing though, I REALLY enjoyed the quiz. Thanks for the tip!
Chris Jones
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Leeloo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Edit: outdated now.
Last edited by Leeloo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leeloo
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby DanielFullard » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 am

I was at one last night...pm sent
DanielFullard
Quizzer
Quizzer

Previous

Return to Quiz Discussion