British Quizzing Championships 2015

This is a repository for ephemeral and/or superseded information posts and discussion topics which are nevertheless thought worthy of retention.
Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

British Quizzing Championships 2015

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Saturday 5 September will see around 100 of the top quizzers in Britain assemble at the Showground just outside Newark on Trent for the 16th* annual British Quizzing Championships. In addition we expect 20 more quizzers will also be participating at a satellite venue in Edinburgh with a similar number perhaps over the water in Dublin. The winner will emerge as the holder of the coveted Mark Bytheway Trophy.

* This will be the 16th annual contest for the Individual title (first won in 1999 by Kevin Ashman). 2015 sees the 10th annual competition for the British Pairs title, that contest having first been staged in 2006.

If you're looking for details on Edinburgh, our host once again is Ewan and you should look here.

THE NEWARK-on-TRENT VENUE

Our venue is the Joe Hallam Pavilion at Newark Showground (Newark on Trent). It is easy enough to find by road, with free parking available. Newark is on the East Coast main line (80 minutes from London) and a shared taxi to the venue from its main station should take only a few minutes and be relatively inexpensive.

Venue Address:
Joe Hallam Pavilion
Lincoln Road,
Winthorpe,
Newark,
Nottinghamshire,
NG24 2NY

THE SCHEDULE

09.30 - 09.45 Early registrations [later arrivals register 10.00 - 11.00]
09.45 - 10.35 Annual Highbrow/Lowbrow Quiz (see below)
10.35 - 10.50 Answers & Marking
11.00 - 11.30 Order of Merit & Grands Prix medals ceremonies
11.30 - 12.20 British Quizzing Championship (Individuals) Part I
12.20 - 12.45 Answers & Marking
12.45 - 13.00 Short break
13.00 - 13.50 British Quizzing Championship (Individuals) Part II
13.50 - 14.15 Answers & Marking
14.30 - 15.30 Luncheon
15.30 - 18.00 British Quizzing Championships (Pairs)
18.00 - 18.10 Results & Presentations
18.10 - 18.30 Short Break
18.30 - 19.15 Hot 100 (Individual quiz)
19.15 - 19.30 Answers, Marking, and Close

Please Note: There will be a hog-roast lunch (augmented with chips this time). Now, we appreciate that not everyone will want to eat pork, and so there is the alternative of a standard buffet. So, however, we need definite numbers for the latter in good time. If you omit to tell us you want the buffet we will assume you want the hog roast. Either way, you’ll appreciate it’s not going to be helpful people turning-up on the day and expecting us to know in advance what their food preferences are, and being able to cater to them. Sorry to shout, but PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER FOR THIS ONE!

THE QUIZZES

Highbrow/Lowbrow Quiz

This combines what was, formerly, two separate quizzes - albeit we rank everyone according to how they place in the better of their two half performances, and award rankings points accordingly. So, a first place in Highbrow and 36th in Lowbrow will see you earn the same rankings points as the person who topped the popular culture section, and vice versa. What you’ll have then is a 100 question quiz, split into two parts, 50 Highbrow and 50 Pop Culture. You could of course chose to concentrate on just one of those sections! Ties will be settled first by reference to the best finish place in one's less successful half of the quiz, then by reference to overall aggregate score.

For this and the Hot100 quiz, we’re more than happy to accommodate people travelling together by train who want to do the quiz at some stage during the 80 minute rail journey from the capital (for example).

2014 British Quizzing Championships (individuals) for the Mark Bytheway Trophy

Our annual, full-on 240 question quiz in which ALL 240 questions across six genres count for full marks! At stake, the Mark Bytheway Trophy, aka ‘The Moby’. This quiz has been set by Eric Kilby.

This year we'll once again have satellite venues in both Edinburgh AND Dublin.

British Pairs Championships

Pairs quizzing, first taken-up seriously here in the UK after the 2005 European Quizzing Championships in Tallinn – where Pairs quiz is the local specialty – sees a preponderance of questions in which clues make it possible to get to the correct answer via more than one route. Questions are designed to test the Pair, to see if their joint effort can exceed the sum of their combined individual knowledge. Entries are invited from 'pre-formed' pairs or pairings can be arranged ad-hoc on the day.

This is a unique event in the British quiz calendar. After an initial qualifying round the contest proceeds by rounds, with Pairs being eliminated along the way until a remaining cluster of Pairs fight it out in a Final round. Everyone else gets to keep quizzing, recording their scores, with a prize for top overall score as well as the actual competition/knockout winners. Players are encouraged to form Pairs in advance of 6 August. So, however, if immediately prior to the event you still do not have a partner, we will find you one. There will be a prize for the best performance by one of these last-minute, 'scratch' Pairs. This will be whichever of them goes furthest in the main contest - if necessary separated on score/tie rules if the last two or more go out of the competition at the same stage.

We expect perhaps as many as 50 Pairs at our English venue. Because of the knock-out element to the competition (and also venue/time constraints in Edinburgh) this competition, unlike the Individuals, is open to be won only at the central location. Questions will be available in the satellite locations, where they can be played for fun.

Hot 100 Quiz

This 100 question quiz has an entirely international flavour befitting a monthly competition that is held around the globe. Since it will help inform England teams selection for Bucharest, in order to be as inclusive as possible, there is scope for some satellite venues on the Sunday – i.e. for those players unable to remain at the main venue beyond 7pm. Interested parties – you’ll need two quizzers plus someone to act as ‘proctor’, who can be a non-quizzer – should contact me NO LATER THAN midnight Tues/Wednesday 1/2 September. I will likely be far too busy to entertain requests made only on the day of the BQC. Similarly, players can take the quiz while travelling home together by train (e.g. to London).

COSTINGS

Saturday - options...

Main event - BQC, Pairs Quiz, including lunch: £30.00
High/Lowbrow quiz: £4 extra
Hot 100 Quiz: £4
All in £35.00

As the BQC is a very hectic day for us, with lots of people to look after, it would assist us greatly (and probably make your life much easier too) if you could register and pay in advance. Payment can be made via PayPal. Our user ID is payments@quizzing.co.uk - please make sure you use this one and not any old one. If it's easier, you can pay via bank transfer. Just drop Jane a line and she will send you the details. Many thanks!

CAR TRAVEL, PARKING and PUBLIC TRANSPORT

Newark has excellent road connections being sited on the A1. Just at the NE end of town is a roundabout giving access to the A46, Lincoln Road, which connects to Drove Lane, on which you will find the entry points to the showground. Arriving by car or taxi you are recommended to use the main entrance on Drove Lane.

ACCOMMODATION
The nearest hotel is the Premier Inn, Newark, which is just off the Lincoln road, on the town centre side of the A1. As well as having the benefit of free parking, immediately adjacent to the Premier Inn hotel is a large ‘Table’ food-pub, called ‘Roman Way’ (open for breakfast also) AND a McDonald’s, which is open 24/7. There’s also a cash machine next to the McDonalds car park. Just on the NW side of the A1, still on Lincoln Road, and on the north-bound carriageway, is a large curry house, the Mint Leaf, which is open till 11.00pm on Saturdays.

For the centre of Newark itself - check-out the enormous market square - is well served by hotels and B&B’s. Herewith a selection, including a 40-room establishment originally built to house “wayward girls”!

Millgate House Hotel: single rooms from £60.00pn, double/twin £75 (inc. VAT).

Best Western Deincourt Hotel: single rooms from £57.50pn, double/twin £90 (inc. VAT).

Compton House B&B: single rooms from £75.00pn, double £95 (inc. VAT).

The Georgian Town House boutique B&B: single occupancy from £80.00pn, doubles from £95 (inc. VAT).

FOOD AND DRINK

Newark is blessed with some quality real ale establishments, which is what you’d expect for a Nottinghamshire market town with its own CAMRA branch! Four establishments come to me recommended by the guy who presents the Wednesday night quiz I go to in Rolleston; so, you might therefore want to pay a visit to…

The Prince Rupert: tucked away on Stodman Street, between the castle and market square. A real historical gem and forms a must-see stop on Newark’s Civil War Trail. It was originally built in 1452 and still stands strong with its original timber frames having undergone a renovation.

The Just Beer Micropub: run by four ‘Tapsters’, Eggheads alumni, they can be found in the Swan & Salmon Yard, 32A Castlegate.

Vaults Cider and Ale House: on Northgate, beers from LocAle Breweries plus real ciders.

The Castle Barge: er, a barge moored in the Trent at Newark Wharf. It serves Mansfield Cask Bitter.

There is also a lovely Keralan (South Indian) curry house in the town, Koinonia - 19 St. Mark’s Lane in the St. Mark’s Place Shopping Centre. The entrances are from Lombard Street or from Newark’s Market Place. Nearest car parks are located at ASDA (exactly opposite) and NCP (2 minutes’ walk) both on Lombard Street.
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: British Quizzing Championships 2015

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Please sign-up using this thread, indicating which elements of the day you are participating in (i.e. if not going the whole hog). And should you not want to have the hog-roast luncheon, please tell me that also.

Thanks

Chris
Chris Jones
Director, Quizzing Ltd., BQA and iQa

Phatmarkie
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Phatmarkie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Chris, can you book me in for all day please, Hogroast lunch. I'll paypal monies soon.Thanks.

Moodymark
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Moodymark » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Chris,

Just sent the money via Paypal.

Just the Individuals and the Hog-Roast lunch for me please. I'll need to leave 3.30-3.45ish.

Kind Regards
Mark P

NickArcher
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby NickArcher » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 am

Please include me in the individual championship,pairs championship - with Phil Bennion - and Hot 100, but not the highbrow/lowbrow quizzes.

I would like to partake of the hog roast.

Thanks.

Nick

robs
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby robs » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:16 am

I'll be there for the whole day

Cheers

Rob Sutherland

Steve123
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Steve123 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi Chris

Please sign me up for full day including hog roast. I will make payment via paypal.

Regards

Steve Rhodes

Steve123
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Steve123 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:30 pm

Can Debs Mcdonald and Elliet Smorthit also sign up for the full day.

thanks

Steve

Elspethparks1215
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby Elspethparks1215 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 pm

Please sign Syd and I up for the pairs, all the other quizzes and the hog roast.
Many thanks
Elspeth

ridler
Quizzer
Quizzer

Postby ridler » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Please book me in for the main event only plus hogroast. No pair partner as yet.
Money to follow.

Brian Chesney

Return to “Archive (past events)”